domingo, 9 de junho de 2013

tiara of barbie doll heads

if there is one thing radicals/progressives/liberals have failed to get right in the new age

themodernistwitch:

bankuei:

cupcakesnotbombs:

navigatethestream:

its the notion of boycotts

you wanna know why the bus boycotts of the civil rights movement were so successful?

because an alternative black run transportation system was created for those who couldn't walk to work or whatever they had to go

they didn't just tell people "oh the bus enforces racist policies so don't take it and FUCK if you can't get to work on time or where you need to be!" 

they said "hey you're paying to get on the bus and not even being given a seat let alone being ejected if a white passenger needs your seat. here's a potentially better alternative where you pay to sit down and get to where you need to go" 

all this "boycott Target, Walmart, Monsanto owned companies" comes from a notion of boycott located in the politic of privileged white people

and that's why they are largely unsuccessful

its why Obama just gave Monsanto the green light to commit even more fuckery to your food

its the reason why cooperation are considered people

its the reason why Walmart is allowed to usurp safety and labor regulations in their factories, and underpay their American workers

because you say "don't spend your money there" and that's the end of the story 

you expect people to locate their survival in a politic of "abstaining from unethical choices"

and then from there those unethical choices are somehow supposed to magically disappear. when really only a small percentage of people are able to boycott so many things

there wouldn't be a movement located around the "99%" if 99% of people could really afford to stop shopping at the unethical places and stop buying the unethical brands

good luck with your hocus pocus activist logic 

hocus pocus lol. but this shit is hella real.

It's the fact that people ignore that the Civil Rights Movement would involve months of planning and prepping before hand - alternate methods to get to work/school, lawyers to press the demands for change of laws, etc.

But all you see is the marches and protests.  The "exciting" part.  Which is why a lot of modern activism suffers from lots of effort for little payoff.  (There's also a good portion of anti-blackness in the unwillingness to pay attention to the level of intelligence and planning that the CR movement had to do and to talk to people who were involved).

Yep. To repeat one of my favorite refrains: the meaningful work isn't glamorous, it's gritty and everyday.

zuky: thegoddamazon: hamdoullahcava: Muhammad Ali on the...













zuky:

thegoddamazon:

hamdoullahcava:

Muhammad Ali on the Vietnam War Draft

The fact that this is STILL relevant should be very telling.

Immortal words…

"If I'm gonna die, I'll die right here fighting you … You my enemy, not the Viet Cong or Chinese or Japanese … You my opposer when I want freedom, you my opposer when I want justice, you my opposer when I want equality … You want me to go somewhere and fight, but you won't even stand up for me here at home."

Photo



embracing-fat: Preach.



embracing-fat:

Preach.

blackfemdomdotcom: If your critiques of monsanto dont include consideration for poor folks who cant...

blackfemdomdotcom:

If your critiques of monsanto dont include consideration for poor folks who cant afford whole foods and poor folks who have to spray monsanto crops you can miss me!

Photo



"They say when you meet the love of your life, time stops, and...









"They say when you meet the love of your life, time stops, and that's true."

Photo



Photo



Photo



"I look at my student loan statements each month and feel angry and jaded toward a culture that tells..."

"

I look at my student loan statements each month and feel angry and jaded toward a culture that tells poor kids that the only way to make anything of themselves is to take out a ton of loans to MAYBE have a tiny chance at competing for a job that dozens or hundreds of other people are also competing for.

I feel like someone tricked me along the way by telling me college was the answer, and I feel stupid for not having questioned that. I did enjoy college. I don't regret my degree. I DO have a job now. But I don't think that means the system works. I think that means I'm lucky.

"

-

We Were Poor, And College Was The Answer to All My Problems. (Right?) at The Billfold (via echolikebells)

braver than me lookin at them statements. I don't need to see that shit till I start paying them

(via etherealxeyes)

I'm like 65% sure I'm done with this scam ass shit after this semester

(via patrickandmarcus)

fluidexchange: I hate my body, I hate the desert.



fluidexchange:

I hate my body, I hate the desert.

Me & Mr Jones /// Amy Whinehouse



Me & Mr Jones /// Amy Whinehouse

Photo





"I don't give a shit what the world thinks. I was born a bitch, I was born a painter, I was born..."

"I don't give a shit what the world thinks. I was born a bitch, I was born a painter, I was born fucked. But I was happy in my way. You did not understand what I am. I am love. I am pleasure, I am essence, I am an idiot, I am an alcoholic, I am tenacious. I am; simply I am…You are a shit."

- Frida Kahlo, from an unsent letter to Diego Rivera (via c-ovet)

Photo



fuckinadi: sadie—talks: infinitylooper: Something to think...



fuckinadi:

sadie—talks:

infinitylooper:

Something to think about:

The Earth is 4.6 billion years old. Let's scale that to 46 years.
We have been here for 4 hours. Our industrial revolution began 1 minute ago.
In that time, we have destroyed more than 50% of the world's forests.

This isn't sustainable.

Always reblog.

"I stayed in bed for over an hour looked at things on my phone I felt slightly anxious about..."

"

I stayed in bed for over an hour
looked at things on my phone
I felt slightly anxious about nothing particular
I walked downstairs and poured coffee into a jar
I asked a person on the internet if I should take drugs
I took drugs before the person had time to respond

I feel alienated by people who express concern about me without
defining their concern in terms of a specific solution or goal
I dont feel comforted by the idea of an afterlife
I dont want to continue experiencing things after I die
I want someone to pull my hair because I like the idea of someone
controlling my head without touching my head

what is the difference between being an independent person
and being a person who is accepting of loneliness

"

- "Today My Alarm Went Off at 12:30 p.m.," Mira Gonzalez (via commovente)

Photo



Photo



Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário